SAVE THE DATE: March 31 – April 2, 2016
Hydrology & Water Resources 50th Anniversary Reunion
(Note: this IS legitimate, except for perhaps the very last part.)
From Peter Quinlan and Tom Meixner
Update on 50th Reunion Events – Our plans for the reunion have evolved.
NOTE to Alumni attending AGU or who live in the Bay Area can attend the UA’s annual School of Earth and Environmental Sciences reception that occurs as part of Fall AGU in San Francisco: This year the reception will be held Monday, December 14, from 6-8 PM, at the Thirsty Bear, 661 Howard Street, San Francisco, CA 94105. Please email Tom Meixner (email@example.com) if you plan to attend the reception.
Thursday, March 31, 2016 – Day Field Trips/Outings, Evening Downtown Pub Celebration (Extra Day in Tucson)
Day – Field Trip/Outings for those who would like to spend an extra day or two in Tucson
- Biosphere 2 – Special tour and talk with Peter Troch (cost ~$40 for transportation, box lunch) ()
- Kartchner Caverns – Special tour with geology/hydrology emphasis (cost ~$50 for transportation, box or café lunch) ()
- Tucson Water Recharge Facilities, Sweetwater Wetlands (Birding) and Southern Avra Valley (cost ~$30 for transportation, box lunch)
- Golf outing to local course (location/cost to be determined)
- Shopping and Dining at La Encantada or Downtown Tucson (transportation cost to be determined).
Evening -- Downtown Tucson Pub Celebration, tentatively at Reilly Craft.
Friday, April 1, 2016 – Annual Student Research Symposium, Panel, Reception, Gala Dinner Celebration
- Annual student research symposium (morning, part of afternoon)
- Panel discussion with three recently retired faculty members, Thomas Maddock III, Shlomo Neuman, and Jim Shuttleworth
- Cocktail Reception in Old Main Silver and Sage Room and Veranda
- Gala Dinner Celebration, location to be announced
Saturday, April 2, 2016 –Conference on groundwater: Hydrology—The Next 50 Years, Reception, Dinner
- Groundwater conference in collaboration with the National Ground Water Association, Hydrology—The Next 50 Years (6 invited speakers, including 2016 NGWA Darcy Lecturer, Dr. Ty Ferré)
- Cocktail Reception, Dinner
There will be nominal charges to cover the expenses of the events, meals, and any transportation.
We are hoping to build excitement for the reunion and connections among the different generations of alumni both at the reunion and in pre-reunion gatherings in various cities around the country and overseas. If anyone is interested in volunteering to organize a local gathering, please contact Peter Quinlan (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Tom Meixner (email@example.com). We will be able to provide correspondence with folks in your region to assist with event related communications.
Also, if you know an alum who did not receive this message, ask him or her to contact us so we can add them to the listserv.
Finally, we are trying to contact anyone and everyone who passed through HWR. Because the university has privacy concerns about publishing email addresses of alumni, I am still seeking a way that we can set up a digital bulletin board where the surviving members of our 1306 graduates can voluntarily share their contact information. Any ideas and assistance are welcome.
It should be a remarkable spring in the desert. See you there!
Note: In the evening of 2 April I (MEC) will be signing copies of my 40-year old dissertation. Just print out all 252 pages and I will affix my John Hancock. I will actually attempt to explain exactly what 'Finite-State Models of Transport Phenomena in Hydrologic Systems' are and how they transported me to a successful career as a blogger and Tweeter. Only $10!
“Education is not the filling of a ring infiltrometer, but the lighting of a fire.” - apologies to William Butler Yeats